Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thing #11

Social media is a great concept. For people who like to discuss current events, these sites are a useful outlet for opinion sharing and general discourse. Personally, I have no particular interest in subscribing to these types of sites because I prefer reading news from RSS feeds from sources I've selected. I think I am influenced by my history in media studies and therefore prefer the news sources over public opinion. As far as libraries are concerned, these sites don't really offer any value to libraries unless they're curious about what the general public finds interesting in the news. It all has too much of an American Idol feel to it, which does not appeal me.

After a quick review of all the social media sites posted in Thing #11, I noticed only one site featured local news... Newsvine.

Here's a twist on news gathering... how about getting your news based on geographical interest? Check out TimeSpace from the Washington Post and the good folks at Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment