Friday, February 27, 2009

Thing #13

I've known about LibraryThing for a while but felt like I was spreading myself too thin to manage another online collection. Also, I've been active with Bookcrossing.com for many years and am a proponent of setting my books free. It's all a part of a personal goal of living with less, i.e. less material goods, collections, and "stuff" that just takes up space. However, I am interested in cataloging the books I've read and am keeping in my small personal collection.

So, I DID join LT and spent a little time checking out the site. I read through some of the group discussions and immediately found a thread on people attending ACRL. Since I'll be attending, I wrote a quick reply and continued my tour. I like the site even though I'm not a big reader. I'll continue to add books to my collection, just because it'll be a great way to keep track of what I've read and get suggestions for future To Reads.

As far as libraries are concerned, I think sharing a Book Club's "library" would be useful to display books that have been read by the group. It would also serve as a social networking location for group members to share personal libraries, discuss books read, and make suggestions for future readings. The same could be done for story time readings and recommendations.

No comments:

Post a Comment