Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thing #8

I became an online communicator when I bought my first computer in 1996. My online life started with an ISP that no longer exists, it was called WOW! I was instantly sucked into the world of chatting via IM and loved it. I had a lot of fun online and began establishing relationships through the world of chat. In fact, I am still in touch with one of the friends I met online that first year. We have visited each others' homes and shared vacations and now we talk on the phone more than we visit online. So in retrospect, I have online communication technologies to thank for some valuable people in my life.

Currently, I have these types of technologies to thank for my ability to earn my MLIS as a distance student. :)

The use of chat programs in the workplace is brilliant, especially in libraries. The more I learn about practical uses of virtual communication services, such as Ask-A-Librarian, the more inspired I am to explore these technologies in more depth. It makes sense for libraries to incorporate a desktop reference service since so many customers are accustomed to this type of information seeking.

SMS, I don't quite get for library use.

Web Conferencing is extremely useful for library staff who have limitations on time and travel. These are great whether you view them live or recorded.

I have a Meebo account but have yet to use it. Some of my classmates have arranged meetings when working on group projects, which is helpful when team members are scattered geographically. Some library systems have branches separated by large distances, so this would be an alternative to driving to another location. It is also cheaper than long distance calling if that should ever be an issue.

Twitter can flitter away as far as I'm concerned. It serves very little purpose and infringes on productivity by what I can tell. Obviously, it has a huge fan base, but I don't think it offers much value to libraries. There are other ways to push information and promotion to patrons.

No comments:

Post a Comment